The CC-Link Partner Association, the organization promoting the Ethernet-based integrated network CC-Link IE, has announced the completion of the specification for “CC-Link IE TSN,” a next-generation network based on the current CC-Link IE. CC-Link IE TSN was developed to meet future market demands and has added Time Sensitive Networking (TSN) technology, which are additional standards related to IEEE Ethernet, to integrate OT and IT while further strengthening performance and functionality.
With the diversification of development methods, this enables flexible implementation for various types of equipment and achieves mixed usage of information communications by utilizing Internet Protocol (IP) and control communication technology, according to its maker. The goal is improving efficiency and reducing time for the construction of smart factories utilizing the IIoT.
Background of CC-Link IE TSN specification release
The CC-Link IE specification was released in 2007 as the first 1Gbps Ethernet-based open-industrial network and has expanded its function and scope of application to motion and safety control after starting from general input/output control. The features achieve a mixture of high-speed and large-capacity control communication (cyclic data) that combines with non-control communication (transient data), according to CC-Link. The two can coexist thanks to the 1Gbps bandwidth. Furthermore, it is easy to diagnose the cause of network errors.
Features of CC-Link IE TS
Flexible IIoT system construction
- Adopts TSN Ethernet communication technology as a time-sharing method
- Enables collection of information from end devices by IP communication while securing real-time control communication
Faster time to market and reduced downtime
- Easier network diagnosis by using general purpose ethernet diagnostic tools compliant with SNMP
- By means of time synchronization of compatible devices, it is easy to investigate the cause of problems
Further productivity improvement
- With the improvement of communication performance, CC-Link IE TSN can offer a motion-control operation cycle-time of better than 31.25µs
- Segregation of high- and low-performance device communication, leading to optimized performance for all network stations and the system as a whole
Diversification of development methods
- Offers hardware (ASIC and other device based) and software (protocol stack) development methods
- Supports both 1Gbps and 100Mbps
Development status of CC-Link IE TSN compatible products
The detailed specification of CC-Link IE TSN will be released to CLPA partner companies through the CC-Link site. Those partners who were involved in formulating specifications are considering product development, with compatible products expected to be released in 2019, according to CC-Link.