Schneider Electric has launched SimSci SimCentral for Process Utilities, a new offering that is intended to help manage process design engineering across the entire lifecycle of utility assets. Users can streamline process utility design, collaborate for process improvement and simplify modeling complexity. Benefits include reduced time and cost, an appealing user experience for the next generation of engineers, and accelerated process simulation and design.
Many simulation tools used today by process engineers in the oil & gas, refining, utility and chemical industries trace their origins to legacy architectures, operating systems and user interfaces. Global competition, pricing pressure and energy alternatives are now driving the need for a new approach. The next generation of workers expect modern, scalable and easy-to-use solutions with technology they now take for granted – high speed Internet access, mobile device support, touch screens and virtual reality. SimCentral for Process Utilities includes a new process simulator built from the ground up, is designed to take full advantage of current web and cloud technologies, and provides the state-of-the-art user experience that the new generation of workers expect.
Process design engineers working at engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) firms are among those who recognize the value of SimCentral for Process Utilities. As one example, WorleyParsons was an early adopter, having recognized an acute need for a better process simulation work environment. “By removing complexity from engineering process modeling, SimCentral for Process Utilities lets WorleyParsons deliver more value and respond faster to our client’s needs, helping us to deliver greater service excellence,” said Loïc Coyot, Principal/Lead Process Engineer at WorleyParsons.
“SimCentral is an example of an application that delivers greater value to the engineering community through improved performance. By enhancing the user experience, Schneider Electric Software allows us to simulate with greater efficiency, resulting in our ability to provide more high quality process design to our clients in less time,” continued Coyot.
Key new features and functionalities of SimSci SimCentral for Process Utilities include:
- Unified lifecycle simulation – a model can be taken through all stages of the plant lifecycle, including across design, training and operations
- Ease of use – a modern user interface puts user first, showing relevant features and libraries; role-based library views ease navigation, equation views are easier to see and change
- Expanded problem solving – an intuitive model writing environment unlocks new operations and equations modeling to solve simulation challenges previously consider not solvable
- Unprecedented interactivity & control – a “Continuously Solved” approach is possible whereby changes to input variables can directly update all output variables
- Faster calculation speed – an advanced design accommodates public or private cloud computing environments to scale performance speed as needed
- Collaborative engineering – as a productivity feature, users can concurrently work on the same model across regional time zones, departments or other organizations